is honored on Panel 10E, Row 127 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 9/4/1946
Date of Casualty: 9/21/1966
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:10E, 127
Casualty Province: PR & MR UNKNOWN
Army PFC Arthur C. Alterwisher, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur H. Alterwisher of 157 Radford St. was killed in action in
Viet Nam Wednesday. He was the sixth fatality from Yonkers.
According to a hand-carried telegram to the family from Maj. Gen. Kenneth G. Wickham, Secretary of the Army, PFC.
Alterwisher died from metal fragment wounds received in combat when a mortar shell exploded near him. He was 20
years old.
Like most men in Viet Nam, Arthur wrote home that the fighting was "pretty tough." A letter written to his parents in
early September was interrupted when the Viet Cong attacked his camp. A week later, his last letter home dated Sept.
10, noted: "My birthday has come and gone and at least I can say that my teen years were the greatest."
He was born in Yonkers on Sept. 4, 1946, and was graduated from Hawthorne Junior High School and Yonkers High
School. While attending local schools, Pfc. Alterwiser worked part time for The Hearld Statesman as a newspaper
delivery boy and later in the the newspaper's Circulation Department.
After graduation from Yonkers High School in June of 1964, he joined the Herald-Statesman as a Circulation District
Advisor and attended Westchester Community College in Valhalla during the evenings. He left the newspaper in
August of 1965 and worked for the General Motors Corp. in Tarrytown for a short period prior to entering the Army.
He was inducted into the Army on Jan. 18, 1966, and spent six months in training. Part of this training consisted of
advanced infantry training in guerrilla warfare at Fort Polk, La. On June 23rd he arrived in Viet Nam and was based in
the Pleiku area.
The young soldier was a communicant of St. Peter's Church on Ludlow Street.
Shortly before leaving for Viet Nam Arthur ran into a former co-worker at The Hearald Statesman and said: "Whoever
goes and says they're not afraid is either a fool or a liar. I'm afraid, but I'm going to fight for my country's policy."
Yonkers first faality was Army Lt. William Reach of 300 North Broadway. He was killed in a Viet Cong attack Jan. 8,
1965 at an outpost 10 miles from Saigon.
Marine Lance Cpl. John Richard Turner, 20, of 9 Cottage Place Gardens was killed in action last March 20 in the
vicinity of Phu Bai.
Forty-eight hours later, Army Lt. Francis Michael Boyle, 23, of 98 Bruce Ave. was killed when his truck struck a mine.
During Operation Hastings, Marine Pfc. Robert Francis Geary, Jr., 19, died from gun shot wounds on July 23, 1966.
Specialist Fourth Class Raymond J. Poncurak, who was born in Yonkers and later moved to Miami, Fla., was killed in
action on Aug. 27, 1966.
Flag this remembrance as inappropriate.
High schoo friend
Posted on 3/9/09 - by
I was in high school with Artie & also we were in basic training together in the army at Fort Gordon Georgia there were
a of other YHS graduates there also he was a great man I will never forget him.
is honored on Panel 12E, Row 111 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 7/30/1946
Date of Casualty: 11/23/1966
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:12E, 111
Casualty Province: PR & MR UNKNOWN


The family of Army Pfc. Joseph A. Arimento marked Thanksgiving here yesterday, not knowing their 20-year-old
soldier was killed in Viet Nam the day before.
Pfc. Arimento, in Viet Nam six months, died from mortar fragment wounds in combat with the 25th Infantry Division.
He is the 10th Yonkers man to die in the war.
Last Sunday Marine Cpl. William Dorsey of 49 Fanshaw Ave. was killed in the Da Nang area in combat.
Pfc. Arimento's family: his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth J. Arimento, and brother Kenneth J., an 18 year-old Navy
Reservist, received word of his death at 6 a.m. today at their home, 201 Sommerville Place in North Yonkers.
The young soldier was a member of B Company of the division's 3rd Battalion but recently was on combat mission's
with A Company. His unit was based in Pleiku and operated in the central highlands and near the Cambodian border.
His family received his last letter, written Nov. 16, on the day he died. He asked for several kinds of food and said he
had received communion for Thanksgiving from a new chaplain-the regular one had been killed.
Pfc. Arimento's father said today his son counted the days he had left in Viet Nam in each letter home. He wanted to
go to college after the service and had already been sent to banking school by the County Trust Co. in White Plains
before entering the service.
Joseph was graduated from the High School of Commerce here and was editor-in-chief of the school yearbook. He
marked his 20th birthday in Viet Nam last July.
"He wanted to come home," his father said Joseph had written, "It's a shame they're letting this thing (the war) go this
far. If they wanted to they could get it over in a week."
The young soldier was hospitalized three times with what doctors thought was malaria. He suffered from fever and
chills but no cause was ever established, he wrote home.
Pfc. Arimento, in his last letter said he was "going out" with A Company in an operation directed by Gen. William C.
Westmoreland, the U.S. commander-in-chief in Viet Nam.
He wrote his father privately that he "wasn't scared" and "don't worry."
After 47 straight days of combat he was shifted to a non-combat area. He wrote: "I wish they'd take me the hell out of
here." He said, "Too many top brass" were around making sure he shined his shoes.
Described by his father as "meticulous," young Arimento was close to his younger brother.
He sent his brother money to put new tires on the car he left behind. Kenneth, who was working on the car, planned
to send Joseph pictures of it.
Joseph also sent money to his parents, writing them to "use it." They put the money in a bank account.
Pfc. Arimento entered the Army in December, 1965, completing basic training at Fort Dix, N.J., and advanced infantry
training in guerrilla warfare at Fort Polk, La. -
BOYLE, Francis  Army  2nd LT
is honored on Panel 6E, Row 38 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 10/21/1941
Date of Casualty: 3/22/1966
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row: 6E, 38
Casualty Province: PR & MR UNKNOWN
Lt. Francis Michael Boyle of Yonkers could have left Viet Nam two months ago but he felt it was his duty to stay.
Yesterday he was killed when his truck rolled over a land mine.
He is the second Yonkers man killed in action in Viet Nam in the last four days and the third from this city to die in the
war there.
Lt. Boyle's family received word of his death at noon yesterday when an Army major visited their home at 89 Bruce
Ave. in South Yonkers.

ThE  Major told Mr. and Mrs. Francis Boyle that their 23-year-old son was in command of a truck convoy when his
vehicle hit a mine in Zone D of the Vietnamese sector known as the "Iron Triangle."

The young lieutenant had been in Viet Nam since last October. His time there was up in January but he voluntarily
extended his overseas duty tour because he felt he was needed there.

Thomas Boyle, a New York City police officer, spoke of his brother Frank yesterday. "He believed what we are doing
there is right," Mr. Boyle said, "He believed we have to win no matter what."

Lt. Boyle's father said his son was last home in October, before he left for the war. Young Frank was home for his
father's birthday, Oct. 11. His own birthday was Oct. 21.

Lt. Boyle was a graduate of Good Shepherd School in Manhattan, Bishop Dubois High School and Bronx Community
College. He was an active athlete and spent time coaching younger boys.

He joined the Army in January, 1964, and for a time was stationed at Fort Gordon, Ga. His above-average abilities
earned him a Soldier of the Month award.

A year after his enlistment he was chosen to attend Officer Candidate School at the Army's Artillery and Missile
Center, Fort Sill, Okla.

Young Frank entered the school as a private first class and successfully completed extensive training in field artillery,
communications, combined arms tactics, aerial maneuvers and leadership. He was commissioned a second lieutenant
last May.

"He wrote home often," his brother Tom recalled. "He wrote good letters; he was articulate. In his letters he said he felt
he was doing the right job in the right place."

Lt. Boyle's job in Viet Nam was varied. He spent part of the time as an artillery fire directional control officer and also
served on helicopter missions.

The young officer planned to attend law school when he came home. He was to have been best man at Tom's
wedding, planned for June.

"His service was up in January," Thomas said, "but he extended himself because he felt he could be of more service
to his men. He was proud - proud of being Irish."

Lt. Boyle, a bachelor, was a communicant of St. Denis Church here. In seven to 14 days his body will arrive home.
Funeral arrangements are tentative.

Besides his parents and brother, Lt. Boyle also is survived by another brother, Joseph, 19, and two sisters, Janet of
the home address, and Mrs. Ellen McCullough, whose husband, Peter, is training to be a B-52 pilot.
Flag this remembrance as inappropriate.
Field Artillery OCS Class 5-65 Fort Sill Oklahoma
is honored on Panel 1W, Row 13 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 7/9/1951
Date of Casualty: 5/3/1972
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:AIR FORCE
Panel/Row: 1W, 13
Casualty Province: BINH DINH
The young widow is composed, yet so very vulnerable in her grief.
She is denied even the physical presence of her husband's body. There will be no funeral for U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt.
Lester Bracey, 20, of Yonkers, who died instantaneously over enemy territory in Vietnam May 3.
"There were no remains to bring back," said his widow, the former Sheryl Stevens of Yonkers. A memorial service will
be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at Community Memorial CME Church on Waverly Street.
Sheryl and Lester met at Longfellow Jr. High. "We went together from 10th grade on." Lester played football for Gorton
High, was on the wrestling team and went out for track. "He loved all sports," Sheryl said.
They got married in December 1970 in Yonkers. Lester, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hayward Bracey of 182 Woodworth
Ave., enlisted in the Air Force six months earlier.
Sheryl and their daughter Kim, 2 returned Sunday from Taiwan after she gave up all hope that he was alive. The
squadron commander originally told her that Lester was missing in action. Sheryl and Kim had been living in Taichung,
a town near her husband's base, since July.
Bracey, a loadmaster with the Sixth Aerial Port Squadron of the 374th Tactical Air Lift Wing, was killed on a "high risk
mission" May 3. His plane, which flew supplies in and out of Vietnam, exploded over An Loc City after it could not gain
sufficient altitude to get out of the range of fire. The six man crew was killed. Last year his plane had been shot but
was able to return to its base in Saigon.
"I didn't like flying, but he liked it, he flew constantly," Sheryl recalled. "Things in Vietnam weren't that bad. He wasn't
frightened and I wasn't frightened.
Last month feelings changed. He didn't want to go. His friends plane got shot...I think he had a premonition," Sheryl
said softly, referring to the 18 days each month Lester spent in Vietnam. He left for Vietnam this last time on April 30.
Sheryl was escorted home by Staff Sgt. Daniel West, her husband's friend. West, also a loadmaster, still has 11
months to serve in Vietnam.
He commented on President Nixon's speech: "It's been a pretty bad nightmare (in Vietnam). Nixon had to do something
drastic...we're getting beat pretty bad over there." West's family is staying in Taiwan.
Lester had an opportunity although brief to get acquainted with his little daughter. Now that he's gone, "Kim senses
something," her mother said.
Sheryl and Kim will stay with her parents for the time being. A Commerce graduate Sheryl is thinking about continuing
her education.
She will also try to plan a future for herself and Kim...a future without Lester. -
is honored on Panel 40W, Row 9 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 1/17/1927
Date of Casualty: 10/21/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:AIR FORCE
Panel/Row:40W, 9
Casualty Province: DARLAC
is honored on Panel 38W, Row 64 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 4/18/1948
Date of Casualty: 11/26/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:38W, 64
Casualty Province: BIEN HOA
- Spec.4 James J. Buonaiuto, 20 died Tuesday in Vietnam after being wounded when a small box of ammunition
containing blasting caps exploded while he was carrying it.
His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Buonaiuto of 18 Francis Ter., received word of his injury Nov. 19. The explosion
took place Nov. 18, according to a telegram received from the Army.
Spec.4 Buonaiuto is the 26th Yonkers man to die in Vietnam.
Born April 18, 1948, in the Bronx, Spec4 Buonaiuto had lived in Yonkers for nearly eight years. He was graduated
from Lincoln High School in 1965 and from Westchester Business School in 1967. Before joining the Army last
March, he had been a clerk with United Parcel Service, New York City.
Spec.4 Buonaiuto trained at Ft. Gordon, Ga., and was stationed at Redstone Arsenal, Ala., before being sent to
Vietnam. He arrived there July 30 and had been an ammunition records clerk in the 1st Logistical Command near
Long Binh.
The Buonaiuto family has been informed by the Army that their son's body is expected to arrive home by
Wednesday or Thursday.
Spec.4 Buonaiuto is survived by a sister, Mrs. Anthony (Phyllis) Carapella of Yonkers, in addition to his parents.
The funeral will take place at St. John the Baptist Church and burial at Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Valhalla. - See
more at:
is honored on Panel 24E, Row 58 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 12/4/1944
Date of Casualty: 8/1/1967
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:NAVY
Panel/Row:24E, 58
Casualty Province: VINH LONG
Ens. James Francis Burke Jr., USNR, 22, has become the 15th serviceman from Yonkers to die in the Vietnam war.
He was killed while returning from a night mission near Vinh Long in South Vietnam at 2:30 a.m., only eight miles from
his home base.
Ens. Burke was copilot of a helicopter on a "searchlight" mission on the night of the fatal crash. It was raining heavily
but details on the exact cause of death were lacking.
The Navy copter pilot had flown more than 35 missions in Vietnam since his assignment to the war area in May.
His home was at Chula Vista, Calif., where he lived with his wife, Judith, Ens. Burke's parents, Mr. and Mrs. James F.
Burke Sr., live at 34 Juana St., Crestwood.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete. The only detail available is that his body is en route by air from Saigon.
Ens. Burke was born in the Bronx on Dec. 4, 1944. He was graduated from Annunciation Parochial school in
Crestwood where his parents had moved. Later he was graduated from Mount St. Michael's Academy in the Bronx,
and after two years at the Westchester Community College in Valhalla, he was accepted at the Pensacola Navy Flight
School, Pensacola, Fla.
Ens. Burke and the former Judith Ann Sullivan of Yonkers were married in the church of the Annunciation, Crestwood,
on Nov. 26, 1966.
Mrs. Burke is expecting her first child in January. She said she heard from her husband on July 29 from Vinh Long
and that he had been assigned as pilot in the Army helicopter service.
The war is "something that just has to be done and we're all doing our best out here," was a statement that Mrs.
Burke read from her husband's last letter.
Ens. Burke's first duty assignment in Vietnam was at Vung Tau. He was later transferred to Vinh Long, 60 miles
southwest of Saigon in the Mekong Delta from where he flew rescue, attack and searchlight missions as a helicopter
It was reported that after the crash a huge ball of fire was sighted on the ground.
Mr. and Mrs. Burke have two other children, Sharon, a student at Marymount College in Tarrytown, and Timothy, who
is in grade school. - See more at:
PETER B BUSHEY, Army  1st Lt
is honored on Panel 32E, Row 42 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 6/19/1943
Date of Casualty: 12/22/1967
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:32E, 42
Casualty Province: TAY NINH
A visit by Army personnel on Sunday and a telegram delivered Christmas Day saddened the holiday for Mr. and
Mrs. Stanley Bushey of 570 N. Broadway.
Their only child, 1st Lt. Peter B. Bushey, 24, a journalist, was reported killed by a sniper near Tay Ninh, Vietnam,
on Dec. 22. He was Yonkers' 19th Vietnam war fatality.
Lt. Bushey arrived in Vietnam five months ago. He served in the public information detachment of the 25th Infantry
Division since Aug. 1.
The Yonkers serviceman worked on the editorial staff of The Herald Statesman as a copy editor from June 13,
1966 until November 1966, while awaiting his call for service. He reported to Fort Benning, Ga. Nov. 17.
While in Vietnam he wrote for his division's newspaper, Tropic Lightning News.
The September issue carried his story about Duke, a 75-pound German Shepard scout dog and his handler, Pfc.
David M. Monger of Fountain City, Ind. Both had been wounded when their company was ambushed in the Iron
Triangle. Peter's story told of their reunion while recovering in the 25th Medical Battalion Ward.
The Aug. 14 and Dec. 11 "Special Delivery to Vietnam" column by Carol DeMare in The Herald Statesman carried
excerpts from his letters.
He said he hoped to send back some stories on Yonkers serviceman.
The Herald Statesman published his first contribution, "The Perils of Saigon Traffic," on Aug. 22.
Lt. Bushey was born June 19, 1943, in Yonkers. He was graduated from Yonkers High School.
His love of newspaper writing was apparent in high school. He served as sports editor of "The Broadcaster." He
also was a member of the National Honor Society.
In 1965 he received his B.A. degree at City College of New York. He got his master's in journalism at Columbia
University in June 1966 and was graduated with honors.
"Last Wednesday his Christmas card arrived at home," said Mrs. Bushey. "He told us about the package he
received from Yonkers school children and wished everyone a Merry Christmas."
The serviceman wrote home regularity.
From September 1964 to June 1965 he was the college correspondent for the New York Times while attending City
College. He covered related events on and off the campus.
"His writing career began early," recalls a personal friend and fellow worker. "He wrote for the Hawthorne Junior
High School newspaper."
A scrapbook of Peter's stories and career remains. Among them was the Aug. 11, 1966 front page story he wrote
on substandard houses in Yonkers. -
is honored on Panel 23E, Row 97 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 6/12/1944
Date of Casualty: 7/21/1967
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:NAVY
Panel/Row:23E, 97
Casualty Province: QUANG TRI
Thomas O. Clark, 23, of 24 Kingston Ave., has become the 14th service man from Yonkers to be killed in action
since the United States started sending troops into Vietnam.
Word came to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gordon S. (Dorothy) Clark Sunday, but the Clark's were vacationing at
Cape Cod, Mass.
When word finally reached the Clark's of their son's death, they immediately started the drive back to Yonkers.
PO 3.C. Clark had just been transferred to the 3rd Marine Division in Can-Lo, Vietnam. He was shot in the
abdomen. He was serving as a medic.
Mr. and Mrs. Clark said they received a letter from their son once a week and had gotten a letter after they were
notified of young Clark's death.
In his letter, he said, "War is hell, but I enjoy the Navy and my work as a medic," they said. He also said he liked
helping other people.
Clark was a lifelong resident of Yonkers and left for Vietnam in May for a 13-month tour of duty. He was born on
June 12, 1944.
He attended St. Joseph's Parochial School, Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx, and was graduated from Halsted School
in Yonkers. On Oct. 20, 1964, Clark started work for The Herald Statesman in the mailroom where he stayed until
Feb. 1 when he was promoted to office boy in the Display Advertising Department.
On Feb. 4, 1966, he resigned to enlist in the U.S. Navy. Clark was a communicant of St. Joseph's Church in
Bronxville, where he was an alter boy.
Mr. Clark said he did not know when his son's body was to be shipped back to the United States for burial.
Surviving besides the parents are one brother, Peter S., and one sister, Janice L. Dirr, of Stamford, Conn.
Several residents along Kingston Avenue flew U.S. flags at their homes today in Clark's memory.
- .dpuf
is honored on Panel 11W, Row 49 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 12/1/1946
Date of Casualty: 4/25/1970
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:11W, 49
Casualty Province: BINH DUONG
Sgt. Jeffrey Bruns Dodge, a 23-year-old Army engineer has become Yonkers' 22d Vietnam fatality only a week
before he was due to be rotated home.
Sgt. Dodge, who lived at 34 Hillcrest Ave., had planned to marry Joanne Hannon of Cortland, N.Y. in June.
Sgt. Dodge, a 1968 graduate of Dubuque (Iowan) University, enlisted in the Army in October 1968. He was
stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., until April 1969, when he was sent to Lai Khe in Vietnam.
Sgt. Dodge signed up to extend his stay in Vietnam rather than come home, take his 30-day furlough and then
return to finish his tour of duty.
The young serviceman was scheduled to come home Monday, according to the family, and remained in Vietnam
because he thought he was headed there to train the Vietnamese soldiers.
Henry Dodge, a brother, who is himself a Vietnam veteran, said that Jeffrey was "dedicated to the war effort. He
believed in it." Miss Hannon added that her fiance was "more on the constructive end," building bridges and power
Sgt. Dodge had shipped his gear home and was scheduled to return at the start of May. His family was notified of
his death last Saturday. He died in a rocket attack.
Sgt. Dodge was born in Bronxville on Dec. 1, 1946, and attended School 13, Hawthorne Junior High School and
Yonkers High School where he earned letters in swimming and tennis. At Dubuque University, from which he held
a B.S. in mathematics and physics, he was captain of the tennis team.
Sgt. Dodge is survived by his parents, Henry Temple Dodge and Marie Bruns Dodge; a brother, Henry T. (Pete)
of Rosemont, Minn; two sisters, Mrs. Dean (Cynthia) Abbot of Ossining, and Mrs. John (Melissa) Reinberger of
Yonkers; two nieces, and a nephew.
Date of Birth: 7/4/1944
Date of Casualty: 11/20/1966
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:MARINE CORPS
Panel/Row:12E, 94
Casualty Province: QUANG NAM
Marine Cpl. William D. Dorsey the 9th Yonkers serviceman to die in Viet Nam, was wounded twice and sat
with President Johnson during his recent Southeast Asian visit before he met death from fragmentation
Cpl. Dorsey, 22, was killed Sunday while on patrol in the Da Nang area, site of a large Marine Corps air
The Yonkers leatherneck's company was chosen as part of an honor guard for President Johnson when
he visited Viet Nam. Cpl. Dorsey and his unit were flown to Cam Ranh Bay, where the young Marine
shared the President's table at the mess hall.
"They just took a corporal and stuck him with the President." Cpl. Dorsey wrote his family here.
Monday night, a Marine chaplain and captain visited the Dorsey home at 49 Fanshaw Ave. in South
Yonkers to tell his father, Dr. John J. Dorsey, a plastic surgeon, Army Reserve colonel and veteran of
the Battle of the Bulge, of his son's death.
The doctor wasn't home so the Marines left, not telling two of the Dorsey children the reason for their
visit. They returned later but meanwhile William's sister, Mrs. John (Mary Ann) Smith, called her father
about the visit.
"I'm sure my father knew what it meant," she said, "he just didn't know which one."
Dr. Dorsey's oldest son, Army Lt. John J. Jr., is also serving in Viet Nam. He was serving with the 101st
Infantry Division's 2nd Battalion 225 miles away in Tuy Hoa when his younger brother was killed.
Cpl. Dorsey arrived in Viet Nam last March and had completed more than three years of a four-year
"He wrote us constantly," said Mary Ann, "and nearly every letter contained some account of a battle or
She recalled an account vividly: "The night when only two men from my brother's company survived a
Viet Cong raid."
Her brother spent the night nursing another Marine's wounds.
Of William being chosen to sit with President Johnson, Mary Ann said "He was very proud and honored."
Cpl. Dorsey was wounded twice before he met his death. The first time he was hit in a leg and detained
in a field hospital.
The second time, Sept. 13, he was severely injured when a plastic grenade struck his head, left eye and
But after 10 days in a Naval hospital, he was back on the front line.
Cpl. Dorsey enlisted in August, 1963, a month after being graduated from Yonkers High School.
When school principal John Guzzo learned of his death he cried, "Oh, no my God, not another one."
Army Pfc. Arthur C. Alterwisher, a 1964 Yonkers High graduate, was killed in Viet Nam Sept. 21.
In school William was known as "Billy Buttons," because "he was always cheerful and active," said his
former coach, Carl Danielson.
A member of the school's General Organization, Pep Squad, and a Red Cross representative, he was
also a member of the school newspaper staff.
He was rated by teachers as "co-operative and helpful," and generally, "an average, all around boy."
Interested in sports, hunting and cars, he worked in a gas station after school and for Yonkers
merchants at inventory time.
He wanted to join the police force when he was discharged next April.
He wanted to join the police force when he was discharged next April.
The Dorsey's, now a family of nine, include, Dr. Dorsey, Mrs. Smith, 26, Maureen, 25, John Jr., 24, Edward,
20, Kevin, 19, Geraldine, 17, Robert, 16, and Margaret, 10.
- See more at:
is honored on Panel 40W, Row 74 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 7/4/1948
Date of Casualty: 11/1/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:NAVY
Panel/Row:40W, 74
Casualty Province: GO CONG
- See more at:
"I've seen enough here and I would like to see what the rest of America looks like. But, right now, I'd go just for
having good old New York under my feet."
Keith William Duffy, a young Yonkers sailor like any serviceman serving his country overseas, was looking forward
to coming home. The 20-year-old Navy radioman's anxious parents, Mr. and Mrs. William L. Duffy of 57 Hart Ave.,
and his brother, Billy, 15 were hoping to have Keith safe at home around the Christmas holidays.
That hope was shattered with the explosion of a U.S. Navy landing craft, peacefully bobbing at anchor on a river
near Saigon early yesterday (Saigon time).
Thursday evening, the Duffy family, like other American families, listened to their President announce the bombing
halt and express the hope for an end to the war. They awoke the next morning to hear on the morning news that
the ship their son was serving on in Vietnam, the LST Westchester County, had been mined in the loss of 16
American lives, just a few hours before the President's announcement.
By mid-morning, a Naval officer was at the home on Hart Avenue to inform the Duffy's that Keith was among those
listed as dead.
Radarman Duffy, who enlisted in the Navy soon after his graduation from Lincoln High School in 1968, was the
24th serviceman from Yonkers to be killed in Vietnam.
After an 18-month-tour aboard the medium landing ship USS White River off the coast of Vietnam, the Yonkers
sailor joined the crew of the Westchester County in May.
The 384-foot LST swung at anchor 34 miles southwest of Saigon when the mine explosions tore open its side. The
blasts ripped into the landing craft's sleeping compartment, killing or wounding most of the men as they slept.
Other sailor's were killed at their watch stations.
"Sometimes I feel as if I own half the coastline, but it's no place like home," Keith Duffy wrote home from his
seagoing duty station in one of his last letters.
His letters home to "Mom, Pop and Billy"-hurriedly written in the way any sailor on battle station has to write home -
expressed an amusing interest in what his family was doing and planning at home and relayed an exciting
description of his own travels and hopes for the future.
He commended his brother Billy for the youth's idea of using a sidewalk snow plow with a long extension cord to
clear walks and driveways after snowstorms. "I'd hate to have to pay for that extension cord though - like from our
house to Kennedy airport," the sailor quipped in a letter dated Oct. 22. It was brother to brother talk.
"Hey Billy, have you seen that 007 flick, - 'You Only Live Twice'?" The traveling Navyman told his brother that he
had been in some of the same spots in Hong Kong and Japan depicted in the motion picture. And he told his
brother about the different countries: "Yes, it does snow in Japan, especially in the northern part (something like
Maine), but the country has its cherry blossoms too."
He wrote home about some of the natural beauty of war-torn Vietnam. "You know, as strange as it may seem, the
place that has that nice Puerto Rican weather you were talking about is Cam Ranh Bay. Actually, if it wasn't for this
war...I'd give anything to have about 100 acres of that land, especially the beach area. It's some of the most
beautiful land I've ever seen.
And he wrote home to his folks about picture taking and cameras and clothes he brought during his travels: and
he thanked his family for the "birthday money which came in handy." He wrote about all the talking he'd be doing at
home in January "which is getting closer by the day."
Keith Duffy was tall in stature - six foot, one inch - and he was tall in pride for his duty to his country: "After this trip
I can say that I've done my part over here, and although it was long and hard, I'm not ashamed of it. - Love and
miss you all, Keith."
Funeral arrangements for Radioman Third Class Duffy have not been made yet, according to the family who are
still awaiting word on when his body will be coming home.
is honored on Panel 65E, Row 7 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 1/2/1942
Date of Casualty: 5/22/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:MARINE CORPS
Panel/Row:65E, 7
Casualty Province: QUANG TRI
is honored on Panel 10W, Row 130 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 1/3/1936
Date of Casualty: 6/1/1970
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:MARINE CORPS
Panel/Row:10W, 130
Casualty Province: QUANG NAM
-Marine Maj. Robert M. Fitzgerald of 80 Ludlow St. is Yonkers' 33rd Vietnam casualty.
Maj. Fitzgerald was piloting a helicopter over Quang Nam Province during a rescue mission June 1 when his craft
was hit by an enemy missile and exploded. Because of the nature of the explosion, his family was advised.
He had fewer than five months to complete on his second tour of duty in Vietnam when his helicopter was downed.
Maj. Fitzgerld, a career officer, joined the Marine Corps in 1958 after receiving his bachelor of science degree in
electrical engineering from New York University. He received his basic training in Virginia.
His wife, the former Irene Cosgrove of Yonkers whom he married in 1958 and their two children Kevin and Kayleen
had recently moved to 9591 Lampson Ave., Gaden Grove, Calif., to await the major's return from Vietnam.
Maj. Fitzgerald was born in Yonkers on Jan. 5, 1936, to Garret E. and Mary Merrigan Fitzgerald and attended St.
Peter's Parochial School in New York City. He also attended classes at Villanova before studying at New York
His parents predeceased him and Maj. Fitzgerald made his home with an aunt, Mrs. Michael Bulter, at 80 Ludlow St.
In addition to his wife, children and a aunt, he is survived by two brothers Garret J. of Virginia and Donald J. of
Bowie, Md.; and a sister Mrs. Glen (Rita) Muller of Foothills, Vt.
is honored on Panel 27W, Row 17 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 8/9/1944
Date of Casualty: 4/5/1969
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:27W, 17
Casualty Province: TAY NINH
Army Sgt. David Hercliff Gamboa's last letter to his mother in Yonkers arrived Monday. The telegram advising of his
death arrived the same day.
Sgt. Gamboa, 24, is Yonkers 28th Vietnam casualty.
He died at 2 a.m., Saturday near Chu Chi, where he was stationed with Company D, 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry
"Wolfhound Regiment" of the 25th Division.
His letter to his mother, Mrs. James (Elba) deJong of 22 Hillcrest Ave., contained the foreboding message that in
case he didn't come back, he fought for what he believed.
"Do not despair," he wrote, "I fought not only for my sisters and brothers but I fought for my country and all
Americans. Mom, it is like President Kennedy said - it's not what your country can do for you but what you can do
your country."
The telegram, signed by Maj. Gen. Kenneth G. Wickham, adjutant general of the Department of the Army in
Washington D.C., read:
"The Secretary of the Army has asked me to express his deep regret that your son, Sgt. David H. Gamboa was
killed in action 5 April while at an artillery firing position when a hostile force was engaged. Please accept my
deepest sympathy. Your daughter-in-law will furnish instruction for the return of your son."
Sgt. Gamboa, a son by a previous marriage of Mrs. deJong, had lived in Yonkers a short time before his marriage
here on Sept. 26, 1967 to Miss Harry-Ann Kopel, and attended St. Dennis' Church. His wife lives at 672 Rumsen
Ave., Brooklyn. The couple had no children.
He was born in Puerto Rico on Aug. 9, 1944, and was brought to Brooklyn at the age of 2. He was graduated from
Thomas Jefferson High School there.
He was drafted into the Army in Yonkers in January 1968 and received his basic training at Fort Jackson, N.C. He
went to Vietnam on July 1, 1968.
Before entering the service, he worked as a silk screen printer and attended night school for further training in this
He held the Purple Heart for wounds received in action on Aug. 18, and he won the Bronze Star for another action
in March when 700 Viet Cong attacked 28 members of his platoon. Some 250 Viet Cong were killed in that battle.
Sgt. Gamboa wrote his mother, "Mom, I didn't do anything but fight for my beliefs and stay alive."
The young sergeant will be buried with full military honors in the National Cemetery on Long Island. His body is
being flown from Vietnam and is expected to arrive in New York in five or six days. The body will repose at the La
Pola Funeral Home in Brooklyn.
Among the honor guard accompanying the body from Vietnam is Sgt Gamboa's cousin, Army Spec.4 Carlos
Collazo, who himself has only 80 days more to serve in Vietnam.
Sgt. Gamboa's stepfather is an importer and exporter of plywood and textile machinery and has offices in New York
City under the name of James M, deJong and Westrade Corp.
Survivors also include five sisters, the Misses Elba Gamboa and Joyce Negron of the home address, Mrs. Joseph
(Lourds) Gonzalez, Mrs. Robert (Eileen) Rosado and Mrs. Edward (Yvette) Lopez, all in Brooklyn; two brothers,
Albert and Benjamin Negron of the home address. and his maternal grandmother, Mrs. Rosa Collazo in Brroklyn. -
is honored on Panel 9E, Row 62 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 9/27/1946
Date of Casualty: 7/23/1966
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:MARINE CORPS
Panel/Row:9E, 62
Casualty Province: QUANG TRI
Marine Pfc. Robert Francis Geary Jr., who gave his life in a country thousands of miles from Yonkers,
wrote to his parents "how terribly sorry he felt for the Vietnamese people."
The son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Francis Geary, 61 Bronx River Road, was killed Saturday at 7 a.m. in
South Viet Nam.
Word received by the family Sunday was that Pvt. Geary died of gunshot wounds received during
Operation Hastings in Quang Tri Province.
The 19-year-old Yonkers boy was drafted January 18 this year and he received his training at Parris
Island, S.C.
The whole family went down to the graduation, according to Mrs. Geary. He came home on a 20-day
leave in April.
Later he was sent to Camp Lejeune, N.C. and arrived overseas June 25th according to the family.
Mail came regularly from the young Marine and "none of his letters indicated he was in battle," the
mother said.
She said a letter arrived yesterday. All together 12 letters came to the family while he was overseas.
"He wrote regular and always asked about his brothers and sisters."
The young Marine was a member of the Fleet Marines Force, Company M, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine
Regiment, 3rd Marine Division. His mother said when he arrived in Viet Nam he wrote he was "60
miles north of Da Nang."
His father is a veteran of three years overseas service in World War II.
Pvt. Geary was graduated from Blessed Sacrament High School in New Rochelle in June, 1965.
He is survived by two brothers and two sisters: Janet, 16 years old, a senior at St. Barnabas High
School; Thomas, 14, who plans to enter Sacred Heart High School in the fall; Helen Regina, 10 and
Stephen 7, both of whom attend St. Barnabas Elementary School in Yonkers.
The arrival of the body can range in time from four days to three weeks.
According to the family the body will repose at the David J. Hodder and Son Funeral Home at 899
McLean Ave.
is honored on Panel 26E, Row 88 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 9/13/1946
Date of Casualty: 9/18/1967
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:MARINE CORPS
Panel/Row:26E, 88
Casualty Province: QUANG TRI
is honored on Panel 20E, Row 90 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
date of Birth: 11/8/1946
Date of Casualty: 5/23/1967
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:MARINE CORPS
Panel/Row:20E, 90
Casualty Province: THUA THIEN
is honored on Panel 16W, Row 69 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 12/22/1948
Date of Casualty: 11/13/1969
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:16W, 69
Casualty Province: PLEIKU
-Thursday, Nov. 13, 1969: Mrs. Leoncio Hilerio boarded a plane to visit a gift from her 20-year-old son stationed in
Thursday, Nov. 13, 1969: somewhere in Vietnam Sgt. Luis Hilerio, was killed while serving with Co. K, Army
Rangers, 75th Infantry, 4th Infantry Division.
In about five days the body of the 20 year old serviceman is expected to arrive here. His family plans service at
home and burial at Cabo Rojo, a small village in Puerto Rico.
"This is where he was born, where his two grandmothers and rest of the family live." said Leoncio Hilerio, the boy's
He is Yonkers' 31st casualty in the Vietnam conflict.
Sgt. Hilerio's mother and father yesterday grieved openly at their home at 65 Jefferson St. Their small apartment
was filled with family and friends who had come over to console them on the loss of their youngest son.
The father, a veteran of 16 years of Army service who had seen action in World War II and Korea, sadly pondered
the loss of his son. "Everyone wants to fight in a real war, this is an immoral war," he said.
"This immoral and political problem in Vietnam is killing our young people...all those intelligent young boys," said
the father who works as a maintenance man at the Yonkers Post Office at the foot of Main Street.
Mr. Hilerio learned of the death of his son Sunday and very little detail pertaining to what happened were reported
to him by the Army captain and sergeant who visited his home.
"My wife came home this morning, only to hear this terrible sad news," he said.
"My heart is broken, and listen to my wife," he added.
Sgt. Hilerio's mother sat in a dark corner of the room next to the small kitchen.
Every once in a while she cried in Spanish, "Luis, Luis."
"This situation will never happen in President Nixon's house," said the father. He questioned if the President knew
or fully understood how such a loss affected "a poor man's house.
"No money can replace my son," he said putting his hand over his heart."
The Hilerio family moved here from Puerto Rico more than 16 years ago when Luis was 4 years old.
Sgt. Hilerio spent his last leave home this August, before he departed for Vietnam.
His father displayed the many pictures he sent home. "He never wrote anything to his mother to make her worry,"
he said. He told he was in a safe place and time was going by fact."
The last letter received by the family was dated Nov. 8. The young serviceman assured his family "everything is
fine - I wish I were home."
He inquired about the health of the family and told them "this is going to be a sad Christmas."
"I wish they would end this stupid war," he wrote his mother.
"Delia writes me almost everyday, that's good." he told his mother.
In August, 1968, he became engaged to Delia Rivera of the Bronx. The family waited for her at the house
Sgt. Hilerio wrote about saving "so I can have some money when I get out."
"Don't worry to much, remember I'm always thinking about you," he wrote. - See more at:
is honored on Panel 39W, Row 67 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 6/11/1947
Date of Casualty: 11/14/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:39W, 67
Casualty Province: BINH DUONG
killed Thursday in Vietnam,
will be buried with full mili-
tary honors in Oakland Ceme-
tery Friday after a 10 a.m.
Requiem Mass in Our Lady of
Mount Carmel Church. The
body was brought to the Flynn
Funeral Home here last night.
Pvt. Horne was the son of Mrs.
Mildred Horne of 104 Haw-
thorne Ave. and the late
Frederick G. Horne and was
the brother of Charles J. and
Frederick G. Horne Jr., both
of Yonkers. - See more at:
is honored on Panel 3W, Row 61 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 11/27/1943
Date of Casualty: 6/1/1971
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row: 3W, 61
Casualty Province: KIEN HOA
Sgt. L.C. Leon Jackson, 27, of 127 Vista Place, Mount Vernon, became the 22nd Mount Vernon resident to be
killed in Vietnam just two months before he was scheduled to complete his latest tour of the war zone.
Shortly before his death, Sgt. Jackson had written home asking his family to look for a condominium on N.
Broadway here in anticipation of his reunion with his young family.
Sgt. Jackson was married to the former Christine Glaser on Dec. 17, 1965, and had two sons, James, 7, and
Leon, 5. His wife and children now reside in Burlington, N.J.
Sgt. Jackson entered the Army in 1962, following graduation from Plattsburgh (N.Y.) High School and a year at
Norwich University, a military-oriented college in Vermont.
Originally he had planned to stay in the Army for a minimum tour of duty and intended to return to college upon
discharge. During his first few years in the Army he advanced rapidly, however, and decided to follow in the
footsteps of his father, Melvin as a career soldier.
But in a letter to his mother, Louise, the sergeant said he was very tired; and told his mother that he had
narrowly escaped death on several occasions and that he wanted to get out of the Army as soon as possible.
His mother said Sgt. Jackson had been assigned to Vietnamese villages as an advisor and had helped the
natives build homes and improve their village.
She said Sgt. Jackson volunteered for reported tours of duty in the war zone because he felt qualified to help
the Vietnamese people in his role as an advisor.
While in the Army, Jackson had risen to the rank of sergeant first class after attending the elite Green Beret
School and the Army Intelligence School. He had been the recipient of several medals.
Besides his wife, children and mother, Sgt. Jackson is survived by his father, who resides in Baltimore, Md.;
three brothers, William, of Yonkers, James of Los Angeles and Melvin of the home address four sisters, Melva,
Debra, Dorothy and Anna, all of the home address and a grandfather, Willie Johnson, of Los Angeles.
The body will repose at the Primm Funeral Home on Mount Vernon Avenue. Funeral services will be held at
Macedonia Baptist Church in Mount Vernon Tuesday at 1 p.m.
Interment will be at Beechwoods Cemetery in New Rochelle. - See more at: h
Date of Birth: 2/19/1947
Date of Casualty: 8/26/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:46W, 30
Casualty Province: BINH LONG
- Army Sgt. Kenneth M. Kardah, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Kardash of 46 Bershire Road, has been
reported killed Aug. 26 in Vietnam. It occurred one day before he was to be assigned to rest and recuperation.
He is the 23rd Yonkers serviceman to die in Vietnam.
Last Thursday the family was notified by a three-man team of Army personnel that their son was missing in
On Saturday, the Army men returned and told the family Kenneth was killed. A telegram followed informing
them he "died of gunshot wounds received while on combat operation when engaged with hostile forces in fire
Kenneth departed for Vietnam on March 7 and he was a member of the 1st Infantry Division.
Prior to that he was stationed for 17 months in Germany, where he was a fire directions computer for the 4.2
inch mortars. He came home on a 50-day leave Jan 9.
A 1965 Roosevelt High School graduate, the Yonkers man attended Westchester Community College in the
evenings for six months. He enlisted for four years in the regular army on March 16, 1966.
His older brother, Robert, of 854 Tuckahoe Road, said the family heard regularly from Kenneth.
His last letter arrived Monday and Kenneth told them his outfit was surrounded outside of Loch Ninh. They had
engaged in combat with more than 100 North Vietnamese regular army troops the letter stated.
"We beat them," wrote Kenneth.
"He was real proud about that," said Robert.
Mr. Kardash said his letter told the family Kenneth had moved to the Loch Ninh air strip and the soldier
described the heavy contact they had with the North Vietnamese Army.
He wrote he would get the family a black scarf, which Mr. Kardash said was worn by his outfit.
The father said he was with Company A, First Battalion, 2nd Infantry.
Before leaving for Vietnam in March, Kenneth became engaged to Jeanne Fegan of 1 Sadore Lane.
Kenneth was born in Yonkers, Feb. 19, 1947. He attended School 22 and Longfellow Junior High School.
He was active in the Colts Boys Club.
The family has been notified that the body of the soldier will arrive in Yonkers in about 10 days. - See more at:
is honored on Panel 53E, Row 5 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
date of Birth: 11/8/1949
Date of Casualty: 4/29/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:53E, 5
Casualty Province: THUA THIEN
Pfc. George Lathan, 18, of 28 Lamartine Terr., was killed in action Sunday in Saigon, Vietnam, according to a
report his family received yesterday.
Private Lathan was the son of Rosemyer Lathan of 28 Lamartine Terr. and Caswell Lathan of East Orange,
He was a 1967 graduate of High School of Commerce where he was active in basketball, baseball and football.
Pvt. Lathan with the 101st Airborne Division was a life-long resident of Yonkers and a member of the Messiah
Baptist Church. He enlisted in the Army immediately after graduation from high school and had been in
Vietnam for nine months at the time of his death.
Surviving besides his parents are four brothers, Edward, his twin brother, of the home address. Caswell of
Alburn, N.Y., and Douglas and Clarence, both of Yonkers; two sisters, Rosemyer, a correctional police officer
in Bedford and Mrs. James (Casleen) Cardwell of Schroeder Street.
Pvt. Lathan will receive a posthumous award for bravery. His family will be notified of the details of his death in
two weeks.
He is the 21st Yonkers man to die in Vietnam. - See more at:
is honored on Panel 12W, Row 83 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 2/11/1949
Date of Casualty: 4/2/1970
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:12W, 83
Casualty Province: TAY NINH
Specialist Fourth Class John J. Lyons, 21, son of Richard P. and Catherine Walsh Lyons of 8 Convent Ave., is
Yonkers 31st victim of the Vietnam War.
Spec.4 Lyons was killed in action near Chu Chi on April 2, while serving with the 25th Infantry Division of the U.S.
Army. The family has not yet received any further information, concerning his death. His parents last heard from
him in a letter received March 27.
He was born Feb. 11, 1949, in Yonkers and attended Sacred Heart Elementary and High schools. He was on the
track, basketball, football and baseball teams in school and continued his interest in athletics until his enlistment
on Feb. 5, 1969.
Before joining the armed forces, he was employed by the Western Electric Co. on Tuckahoe Road, and was a
member of the Knights of Columbus.
He received his basic training at Ft. Jackson, S.C. and arrived in Vietnam last July.
In addition to his parents, Spec.4 Lyons is survived by a brother, Peter and four sister, Mrs. Walter (Kathleen)
----------and Teresa Lyons, all of Yonkers. - See uf
is honored on Panel 42E, Row 53 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 3/26/1948
Date of Casualty: 3/3/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:42E, 53
Casualty Province: PLEIKU
-Peter James Mitchell, Spec.4 with the 4th Infantry Division, 1st Brigade Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, was
killed in Dak To, Vietnam on March 4. He would have been 20 years old in two weeks.
A former Herald Statesman newspaper carrier, he was the son of Peter Frank and Mary D., (Gleason) Mitchell of
33 Hamilton Ave.
The telegram which his parents received this morning said that Peter died "from multiple fragment wounds
received while the base camp was under hostile mortar attack.
It went on to say that the delay in notifying them of their son's death was due to a tactical situation existing in
Vietnam the past few days.
Peter, or "Mitch" as he was called by his friends, entered the service Jan. 19, 1967. He completed his basic
training three months later at Ft. Jackson, S.C., and in July he was sent to Vietnam.
Born in the Bronx, March 26, 1948, Peter was graduated from St. Peter's School in Yonkers and from Yonkers
High School in 1966.
A communicant and former altar boy of St. Peter's Church, he was also a member of the Lud-Dale Association
Before entering the service, he was employed for two years by the Gilber Pharmacy on Riverdale Avenue, where
he worked behind the counter and delivered orders.
Peter's body will get a military escort to Flynn's Funeral Home when he is brought back to the U.S. The escort will
stay with him until burial and will assist the family.
Surviving besides his parents are two sisters, Mrs. James (Mary) Moriarty Jr. of Yonkers and Theresa M. Mitchell,
who is in her second year at Westchester Community College, and a brother, Patrick J. Mitchell, who is a student
at P.S. 27 of Valentine Lane.
Surviving also are a grandmother in Ireland and 15 aunts and uncles scattered in the U.S., Ireland and Australia. -
See more at:
is honored on Panel 18W, Row 21 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 6/1/1937
Date of Casualty: 9/1/1969
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:AIR FORCE
Panel/Row:18W, 21
Casualty Province: LONG KHANH
- Air Force Capt. James Sutherland Pitches, 32, became Yonkers' 30th Vietnam casualty on Monday.
His wife, Mrs. Joan Wilson Pitches of 250 N. Broadway and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. David H. Pitches of 17 Cross
Hill Ave., were informed on Tuesday that he had been killed when his plane he was navigating crashed into a
mountain in Vietnam the previous day.
Capt. Pitches is survived by four children, Laurie Elizabeth, 8; David Wilson, 6; Jill Victoria, 4, and John S., 2. He
was the son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Wilson of 144 Douglas Ave.
Mrs. Margaret Pitches, senior bookmobile clerk for the Yonkers Public Library, described her son as "a boy who
joined the Air Force to do his duty for his country and regardless of how he felt about the war in Vietnam, that was
his duty."
She disclosed that Capt. Pitches was to have met his wife in Hawaii on Sept. 12 during his R and R (Rest and
Relaxation) leave.
He had been in Vietnam since Nov. 22, 1968, and was stationed as a navigator with the Fourth Special Operations
Squadron at Bien Hoa Air Base.
He had last been home just before going to Vietnam and was scheduled to leave there this November.
Capt. Pitches joined the Air Force in 1959 upon graduation from the University of New Hampshire. He attended
School 5 in Yonkers and was a Gorton High School graduate. Before going to the University of New Hampshire, he
had attended Clarkson College in Potsdam, N.Y.
He married the former Joan Eba Wilson on July 30, 1960 in St. Paul's Episcopal Church. Capt. Pitches was a
communicant of the Dayspring Presbyterian Church.
His mother noted that "his four children received letters from him regularly and he wrote to all of us continually.
According to Capt. Pitches' father, the family has not yet received any futher details of the plane crash or date of
arrival of the body.
In addition to his wife, parents, and children, Capt. Pitches is survived by his grandmother, Mrs. Sarah Pitches of
the Cross Hill Avenue address.
Also surviving are two brothers. David Kerr and Donald Mathieson Pitches of the same address, and a sister, Mrs.
Marjorie Whitter of Livonia, Mich. His maternal grandparents were the late Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Kerr of Yonkers.
Flag this remembrance as inappropriate.

Date of Birth: 11/12/1936
Date of Casualty: 5/17/1966
Home of Record: YONKERS
State: NY
Branch of Service: ARMY
Rank: CAPT
Panel/Row: 7E, 75
Casualty Province: PR & MR UNKNOWN
s honored on Panel 51W, Row 21 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 12/12/1946
Date of Casualty: 7/20/1968
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row:51W, 21
Casualty Province: THUA THIEN
Army Spc. 4 Allen L. Smith, 21, of Balint Drive was reported killed July 20 as a result of wounds received while on
combat operations in Vietnam. He is Yonker's 22nd fatality in the Vietnam conflict.
The son of Mr. and Mrs. Morris I. Smith was hit by fragments from a hostile booby trap, according to official notice
received by the family Tuesday. He was born Dec. 12, 1946.
Both his parents and his married brother, Howard, who lives at 6 Stokes Road, received letters dated July 14 from
the serviceman.
"His letters were always in good spirit," said his brother. "He never complained, talked about the weather and asked
the family to send him food," he added.
Allen was drafted last July 25, at the time he was attending Long Island University. He graduated from Taft High
School in the Bronx.
After a Christmas furlough with the family, when he was engaged to Judy Soto of the Bronx, he left for Vietnam.
From his letters he indicated he was leaving Da Nang. The Army communication did not state where he was killed.
On Tuesday morning, Mrs. Smith was unable to understand the speakers on the intercom who had rung her doorbell.
She went down to the lobby and when she saw the two Army officers, one a chaplain, she knew what had happened,
explained a neighbor.
They all went up to a friend's apartment, that of Mrs. John Bonita. Efforts were then made to contact the boy's father,
who is a salesman.
Mrs. Bonita said the serviceman wrote one and two times a week, he was cheerful and in one letter wrote, "It's safer
over here."
The Smith family has lived in Yonkers since April of last year. They formerly lived at 1705 Andrews Ave., the Bronx.
No date of arrival of the body has been given the family yet. - See more at:
is honored on Panel 6E, Row 27 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 9/27/1945
Date of Casualty: 3/20/1966
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:MARINE CORPS
Panel/Row: 6E, 27
Casualty Province: THUA THIEN
-Marine Lance Cpl. John Richard Turner, 20, of 9 Cottage Place Gardens has been killed in action in Viet Nam, it
was learned today.
Cpl. Turner died Sunday of fragmentation wounds while fighting the Viet Cong near Phu Bai. He's the first Yonkers
enlisted man to die in the war.
His mother, Mrs. Jessie Tolliver of the Cottage Place Gardens address, received word of her son's death from two
Marine officers who came to her home yesterday.
Last midnight a telegram came, delivered by a taxi driver. It was signed by Lt. Gen. R.C. Mangrum, acting Marine
Corps commandant.
Cpl. Turner was one of nine children, including six brothers. An older brother, George Turner, 22, joined the
Marines earlier this year and arrived in Viet Nam three weeks ago.
John's father died in White Plains the day the young Marine was born - Sept. 27, 1945.
John attended New York City schools and had lived in Yonkers since 1963. He enlisted in the Corps in March, 1964,
and received basic training at Parris Island, S.C.
He was serving in Viet Nam with A Company of the 1st Battalion, 4th Marines, an infantry regiment. Last year he
spent six weeks in the Dominican Republic during the crisis there.
Cpl. Turner was last hame before Christmas, 1965. He spent the holiday in Viet Nam. Before leaving he told his
mother: "I know I have to go. It is my duty."
The young Marine was engaged to marry Carol Coleman of the Bronx.
In letters to his mother Cpl. Turner did not write much about the war. He wrote of this to a grandmother, Mrs. Harriet
Graham of 28 Altonwood Place, because he didn't want to worry his mother.
Mrs. Graham received the last letter a week ago. It was written in a foxhole. Cpl. Turner wrote her "not to worry. I'll
be home." He talked about making a career in the Marines.
His body will be sent to the Brooks Memorial Home on Warburton Avenue. Tentative burial plans are set for Oakland
Cemetery with full military honors and a Marine honor guard. Services will be held at the Mount Carmel Baptist
Church on North Broadway.
Surviving besides his mother, grandmother and brother are five other brothers = Wayne Tolliver, 18, a student at
Gorton High School; Alphonse, 17, a student at Saunders Trades and Technical High School; Ronald, 16, a Gorton
student; Arthur, 10, and Dean, 6, both students at School Six; two sisters; Mrs. Martin (Maureen) Williams of 7
Mulford Gardens and Roslaind, 16, and another grandmother, Mrs. Viola Turner of White Plains.
Yonkers first Viet Nam victim was Army Lt. William Reach of 300 N. Broadway. He was killed in a Viet Cong attack
last Jan. 9 at an outpost 10 miles from Saigon. -
is honored on Panel 8E, Row 41 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Date of Birth: 9/12/1936
Date of Casualty: 6/11/1966
Home of Record: YONKERS
Branch of Service:ARMY
Panel/Row: 8E, 41
Casualty Province: PR & MR UNKNOWN
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you....and save one backward glance when you are
leaving for the places they can no longer go.....Be not ashamed to say you loved them....
Take what they have left and what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own....And
in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those
gentle heroes you left behind...."
Quote from a letter home by Maj. Michael Davis O'Donnell
KIA 24 March 1970. Distinguished Flying Cross: Shot down and Killed while attempting to rescue 8 fellow
soldiers surrounded by attacking enemy forces.
We Nam Brothers pause to give a backward glance, and post this remembrance to you, one of the gentle
heroes lost to the War in Vietnam:
Slip off that pack. Set it down by the crooked trail. Drop your steel pot alongside. Shed those
magazine-ladened bandoliers away from your sweat-soaked shirt. Lay that silent weapon down and step
out of the heat. Feel the soothing cool breeze right down to your soul ... and rest forever in the shade of
our love, brother.
From your Nam-Band-Of-Brothers - See more at: